- How did your love of lingerie begin?
My mother! Growing up, she would take me to vintage shows, sometimes at even 5 in the morning. I just always had a passion for lingerie, and started a vintage collection when I was really young. I loved the romance and all the details that went into a piece.
- I read that you love illustration. Do you have any favorite illustrators or artists?
Antonio is my favorite illustrator– he is the main fashion illustrator that I love. But I often look at children’s book illustrations. I love drawing little cartoons of dolls and different characters, so there is definitely something young and playful to my drawings.
- I love your Lanie illustration, a muse you created that embodies the spirit of the brand. How did you first come up with the concept of her?
I have two sisters, and the youngest one is called Sophie Lane, which is how I came up with the name Morgan Lane. She is 24 now, but a bit of a troublemaker and definitely a muse of mine. She is the inspiration for the Lanie doll.
- You have had such wonderful collaborations– I am particularly obsessed with the one between you and Atlanta de Cadenet Taylor. What is the process of deciding who to work with?
I think that it always goes back to our brand message and our brand icon Lanie. Who is really a Lanie girl and what would Lanie girls wear? Atlanta has the same fun, whimsical attitude towards lingerie and sleepwear that I have. We don’t think it should ever be taken too seriously, and we love feminine little details. We actually just met through a friend, but her creative passion for lingerie is really what drew us together. For me, choosing collaborations is much more organic than you think. I love collaborations to have a story of how they started, as opposed to me just reaching out to a brand or a person.
- You were very ahead of the curve in terms of blending sleepwear and ready-to-wear. What is a tip you can give to someone who wants to wear one of your pieces out and about?
I always thought it was crazy that women spend so much time at home, but that homewear is least considered in one’s wardrobe. I think that this whole pandemic and lockdown has made people realize how good it feels to be comfortable yet presentable, and how different a nice pair of pajamas can feel to wearing the same t-shirt and sweatpants everyday. I think all the Zoom calls and video conferences have definitely been a transition in showing people how to wear sleepwear as ready-to-wear. I think that this summer is a great time to incorporate sleepwear in your daily wardrobe because a lot of items can be taken from bed to beach, or in our case, from bed to backyard. I love the way the pajamas look out, even a robe thrown over a bathing suit, or one of the tops tied at the waist with little jean shorts. The Tilly romper is super cute to throw on with some white sneakers. Even some of the sleep shorts look so cute over a bathing suit because they are fun, bright and comfortable, and the elastic waistband makes it easy to run around in.
- If you could choose a Morgan Lane muse from some of history’s most inspiring and influential women, who would you choose?
Natalie Wood. I have also always loved Ali McGraw.
- Do you have a favorite piece from your design archives?
I love my signature mini mask Ruthie top— that’s one of our classics and bestsellers. It is always a go-to to sleep in and also to wear out. I love the little eye mask on the pocket. There is something about the black and white stripes… it’s like Lanie’s uniform in a way.
- You have the most gorgeous selection of pajamas. How important is sleep to you?
I am definitely a big sleeper! After I wake up I like to stay in my pajamas for a few hours. Especially with the new baby, I need to be comfortable all the time.
- I love your swimwear! What was the decision-making process like when you decided to venture into this new category?
A lot of the technical parts of swimwear go hand in hand with lingerie, so I already had the experience in knowing how to make swimwear. I also launched the brand Solid & Striped, so it was something I always wanted to do. A lot of my prints can be seen on both. A lot of the details can be seen on both. I really just wanted to make all the items one might need to live a luxurious lifestyle.
- As someone who is not only inspired by but also works with her mother, I am so interested in mother-daughter relationships. How did your mother inspire you growing up?
She is my main source of inspiration, since she is a fashion designer. I always worked for her. In high school I would intern, and then I worked at her store, and eventually climbed my way up until I worked for her in design. She definitely taught me to be true to myself, to trust myself, and to go with what I believe in. She made me really passionate about fashion.
- Was there an item from your mother’s wardrobe that you stole for yourself?! I am certainly guilty of this.
She also loves lingerie and pajamas, and has always had a really amazing collection. But I think the thing I would probably steal from her is one of her vintage kimonos!
- What is next? Any sneak peek?!
We have a lot of things coming up; a lot of really exciting collaborations, and product lines. But what I am the most passionate about are our steps towards sustainability. We are working on introducing some organic cotton and some silk that is made in a more sustainable way. We are hoping and trying to get the company closer to being fully sustainable in the next couple of years.
The Rapid Fire
- Do you have a bedtime ritual?
My bedtime ritual has changed since our baby started sleeping in our room. I have to be super quiet, so I usually just brush my teeth and hop into bed without making a sound.
- What do you wear to bed?
My favorite pajama to sleep in is the Morgan Lane Jillian Night Shirt.
- What is on your bedside table?
Rosebud Salve, a bottle of water, Warby Parker tortoise eyeglasses, and my Morgan Lane sleep mask.
- Do you have any recurring dreams?
I have crazy dreams all the time, especially when I was pregnant. But five minutes after being awake I can’t remember them.
- Are you reading or watching anything good at the moment?
I love the new shows Hollywood and The Great, they both have stunning clothing.
- Which scent makes you think of bedtime?
My daughter’s Calming Lavender by Earth Mama.
- What are some nighttime items you cannot live without?
My favorite blanket that I embarrassingly still have from when I was a baby.
- What is your guilty pleasure?!
- What do you consider the single most important thing for a good night’s sleep?
Good quality bedding and a silk eye mask.
- What was your favourite childhood bedtime story?
The Tiny Star by Arthur Ginolfi.
- What is your skincare and beauty routine like? Do you have any holy grail products?
My favorite products are Glow Drops by Dr. Barbara Sturm, Joanna Vargas Vitamin C Face Wash, and Charlotte Tillbury Magic Cream.
- How would you choose to spend one hour of free time?
Cuddling and laughing with my baby, Lottie.